Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Kingdom of Lothian

I’m a Sauceror  but playing KOL was a long time ago and I haven’t cooked anything in days. Never mind that, the food here in the ancient Kingdom of Lothian has been remarkably good. Rick Steves says it’s the French influence, though I just think it’s more the ready access to lots of great farmland. And raw hares. 



We’ve visited a huge castle with a tiny chapel and some shiny jools. 






Or maybe it’s just the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 

I think the Scottish National museum is more interesting and accessible than the British in London. They present the objects as parts of a story, rather than just stuff sorted by time. I especially admire that when it comes to the ancient Picts, basically all the displays admit variations on “Hell if I know,” even though there’s a pretty decent amount of archaeological material. Just no one ever wrote down much about them. 













We saw bog butter. Mmmmmmm bog butter! I’m glad we could not smell the bog butter. (The interiors of Edinburgh Castle smelled really good, though.)



And the Romans were really into peen. 

The crew at Hertz gave us the most painful rental car pickup ever. We won’t let that spoil a delightful road trip starting tomorrow, and transpiring entirely on the wrong side of the road. 




No comments: